So I finally got tired of being fat! So in 2016, I lost 25 pounds. It took about 9 months and I used a combination of food and exercise to lose the pounds. There were no quick fixes, just good old-fashioned hard work and dedication! Here, are three things I did to jumpstart my weight loss journey to achieve my results!
- Apply the 80/20 Rule: I ate healthy whole foods in conjunction with smoothies, juicing and drinking my body weight in water. Example, if you are 135 pounds, you should be drinking 70 oz. of water each day. The things listed below are habits that I developed to maintain my weight and I still use today.
- Drinking the water was the hardest part. Juicing and drinking smoothies helped me to achieve this goal because they almost always contained water.
- I flavored my water with lime (naturally alkalizes the body) and incorporated the ACV drink, which is a natural appetite suppressant. I used water in each of these.
- I ate 60% raw vegetables & 40% fruits and mostly fish, chicken, some seafood, quinoa and brown rice. I grilled and baked most of the time.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment and try new foods. Falafel is one of my favorite foods to eat because it satisfies my desire for fried food and it is filling.
- I rewarded myself by eating whatever I wanted once a week. This is very different from having a cheat day. Instead, I had a cheat meal or dessert. I love sweets! This helped to satisfy my cravings until I was able to cut it out completely. ( I still do this).
2. Exercise: You do not need to join a gym. There are many other options you can choose to get in a great workout.
- You can create your own workouts at home, subscribe to workouts on Youtube on channels like PopSugar Fitness; or use popular work out apps like the Daily Burn. This is a subscription app, but it’s cheaper than going to the gym and good if you like to work out in private and prefer instructor-led training. I chose to workout at home utilizing HIIT routines. Aaptiv is another great app for variety and motivation.
- Exercise at least four times a week. I worked out for 30 minutes 4-5 days a week. I drank protein shakes after every work out. I know 30 minutes may be hard to find in your day, but I work full time, go to school and am a single mother of two. If I can do it, I’m sure you can!
3. Stay Focused: Losing weight is a mindset. In order to be successful, you must change your mindset! You should think of this as a lifestyle change.
Having a positive attitude is the final element that will get you over the finish line. You will need to push yourself and you must be diligent. Monitor your progress by keeping a food diary. I did not calorie count, I just focused on eating healthy foods and drinking water. No soda or other junk. Stop checking the scale everyday, once a week will do just fine. Muscle weighs more than fat. So, don’t go crazy when it appears the scale has gone up. Another way to gauge your progress is to watch how your clothes fit. If they are fitting looser, you are moving in the right direction!
Check out my before and after pics! Comment below or email me if you want more information about my journey. Don’t get frustrated. Your hard work and perseverance will pay off!